Cheryl Raye-Stout has been mentioned in the Chicago newspapers by being featured, quoted, or mentioned. Her career as well as her various news “scoops” are highlighted.
I. Exclusive Interview
CyberSports Magazine, AtTheGame.com, 10/95, Cheryl Raye-Stout. Cheryl’s Raye-Stout exclusive, 30-minute interview with Michael Jordan. Interview took place on the eve of the season where the Bulls won the 4th Championship. This interview was published in CyberSports magazine and given “cover” status. Interview is currently on the website AtTheGame.com, where audio cuts from the interview can be downloaded and users can actually hear portions of the interview.
II. Cheryl Raye-Stout Featured in Entire Article
- Jim Harbaugh helped a female reporter get equal access to locker room when he played for Bears
- The Cheryl Raye Stout Interview: A chat with one of Chicago’s veteran sports reporters – Detailed interview (5/2013)
- Chicago Foundation for Women’s Annual Luncheon – Cheryl Raye-Stout interviewed Billie Jean King at this annual event.
- What is the deal with Chicago’s ginormous 16-inch softballs? – Cheryl Raye-Stout investigated this question for WBEZ in Oct of 2012.
- Chicago Radio Spotlight – Cheryl Raye-Stout – Lengthy article about Cheryl Raye-Stout (4/2012)
- Discussion about women in the locker room. 9/2010
- WMVP’s Demise Brings Raye’s Bulls Run to End, Chicago Tribune, 6/96, Reid Hanley. Cheryl Raye-Stout featured as undeserving casualty of the sports talk radio station (WVMP) format change.
- Raye’s work earns raves, Daily Herald, 5/2/96, Ted Cox. Cheryl Raye-Stout featured in this complementary article on her unique reporting style.
- Raye, Weigel lead way on Jordan story, The News-Sun, 3/95, Bob Susnjara. Documents the fact that Cheryl Raye-Stout broke story of Michael Jordan’s return to basketball in 1995.
- Raye breaking barriers in broadcasting, Chicago Sun-Times, 4/89, John Ruane. Entire article about Cheryl’s-Raye Stout career and her overcoming the obstacle of being female in a male-dominated business.
- The Brains Behind Chet Coppock, Chicago Reader, 1987, Katina Alexander. Cheryl-Raye Stout featured as Chet Coppock’s producer and how she got to that position.
- Cheryl Raye deals with realities of broadcasting, Lerner Paper, 1987, George Castle. Featured in this article, Cheryl’s Raye-Stout career as sports radio talk show producer and “color” announcer for 3 innings of White-Sox game is discussed. Cheryl-Raye Stout-Stout was the second woman ever to be on the announcing team of a major league baseball game.
- Cheryl Raye clears hurdles, Lerner Paper, 1987, George Castle. Raye featured in this article on her successful career to date
III. Articles where Cheryl Raye-Stout is mentioned
- The plights of being a woman in sports media then and now– A web article reviewing women’s issues in sports. (12/2014)
- Robert Feder 9/2014 – Cheryl Raye-Stout is mentioned as a “Great Talent” by Rich King
- Where Are The Women In Chicago Sports Media? – Cheryl Raye-Stout mentioned in an article in ChicagoSide (2012).
- ‘gal’ sports reporter looks back at the era’s journalistic hurdles – Reflection on women’s struggles to get into sports, 4/2012.
- Robert Feder – Cheryl Raye-Stout Joins WBEZ Radio, November 2001
- A year later, WMVP demise still the stuff of sitcoms, Chicago Sun-Times, 6/97, Jim O’Donnell. Cheryl Raye-Stout quoted and mentioned in this article about the ill-fated radio station, WMVP.
- Where Are the Women on Local Sports TV? Chicago Sun-Times, 1995, Tim Weigel. Raye featured in this article that discusses women in Chicago broadcasting. Documents that Raye broke story on Michael Jordan to play baseball.
- Chet Coppock on Sports, Media Profile, 1985, Jerry Bonkowski. Cheryl Raye-Stout mentioned in this profile on Coppock as the producer of the successful show.
- Albert Down for 7-Count, but maybe not out, Chicago Sun-Times, 9/87, Jim O’Donnell. Cheryl Raye-Stout mentioned for taking job as teacher at Columbia.
- ‘The Sports Scene’ a good alternative, Daily Herald, 10/24/96, Ted Cox. Cheryl Raye-Stout mentioned as being a guest on this radio show.
- TV/Radio Column, Daily Herald, 4/95, Ted Cox. Cheryl Raye-Stout mentioned as giving “observant, insightful” report from the Berto Center regarding Michael Jordan’s return to the NBA.
- Grant, Jackson at Peace, Chicago Sun-Times, 1/94, Lacy J. Banks. A quote that Cheryl Raye-Stout got from Horace Grant was printed in this article and Cheryl Raye-Stout was credited with the quote.
- NBC Switches for Big Game, Chicago Sun-Times, 10/93, Dan Cahill. Cheryl Raye-Stout mentioned for taking new job at WMVP as a reporter, after being at WMAQ for 13 years.
- Cup runneth over with sports events, Chicago Tribune, 7/90, Steve Nidetz. Cheryl Raye-Stout
- A lot to say, so little talk, Lerner Paper, 2/88, George Castle. Cheryl Raye-Stout quoted on the topic of sports radio in Chicago.
- Catch XXII: Super-Bowling Slap a slap at tradition, Daily Herald, 1/88, Jim O’Donnell. Cheryl Raye-Stout is mentioned as not moving from WMAQ to WLUP to follow Chet Coppock.
- Confusion surrounds Caray’s return to booth, Chicago Sun-Times, 3/87, Jim O’Donnell. Columnist refers to Reader piece on Cheryl Raye-Stout.
V. Cheryl Raye-Stout “Sports Digest” sports radio talk show program notes
- Hagin would stick to on-field thrills, Chicago Tribune, 9/91, Steve Nidetz. Program note for Cheryl’s Raye-Stout-Stoutradio show: White Sox pitcher Ken Patterson to be a guest.
- NBA boss fosters a “Jam”-dandy idea, Chicago Tribune, 9/91, Steve Nidetz. Cheryl Raye-Stout is quoted on the fact that she sent a copy of her sports show to the Persian Gulf soldiers.
- CBS vet says pros won’t miss Butler, Chicago Tribune, 7/91, Steve Nidetz. Program note for Cheryl’s Raye-Stout radio show: Pirates outfielder Barry Bonds to be a guest.